Sunday, June 28, 2009

Activity 5: Article Response #1

Social Media Specialists?

Barack, Lauren
School Library Journal, June 2009, Vol 55, Issue 6, (EBSC0 Host)

This article is indirectly related to cataloguing. I was drawn to it because I am considering creating a web page for my final assignment for LIBE 465 (a web page for our school library). I would have to say that the main issue with our library isn't particularly the way things are organized, it is that no one knows how to access them. The students in our school need to be taught how to use the library catalogue, as well as online databases (that our district has purchased) such as EBSCO Host. The front line of communication with students will be an actual website for the library, but I think social networking tools such as Twitter and Facebook could be helpful in connecting students to the online catalogue, and also in instructing students on how to use the catalogue. The article "Social Media Specialists?" argues that not only should a teacher-librarian be an information specialist, but in today's educational world, a knowledge of social media is also essential. I agree with this viewpoint, because I think social media could be used to connect students with resources already in place.

An educational consultant in the article (Stuart Siske) is quoted as saying, "If educators can't/won't change job related expectations/duties to reflect changing needs, we become Chrysler or GM". The library that I work in has certainly not adjusted to changes over time. My classroom is near the library so I get constant views of what is going on, and I never see a class in there, or even students using it for studying or research. If our library closed down, I really don't know how long it would take anybody to notice!

Social sites such as Facebook could be used to connect our students with the library, and at least teach them how to access online resources. Not many students spend their time surfing through our school district website (which at the moment is the only way that they can find a link to access our district's online catalogue). Even if the students did find the catalogue, they couldn't access it unless they logged on through the school district's server. Helping students to easily access our catalogue from home is going to be one of my challenges for Assignment #3, but I agree with the statement "it's essential that media specialists rise to the occasion." In order to connect students with the information in my library, I have to use methods that the students, (my patrons) are comfortable and familiar with. I plan on keeping an open mind towards tools such as Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment