Saturday, May 30, 2009

Activity 3 is done!!

I just completed activity 3 and posted to the discussion forum. I must say that I am experiencing quite a feeling of accomplishment, because as of last night I had absolutely NO idea how to go about that assignment. I have never used the Dewey system (seriously!) or the LC and everything was very very overwhelming. The comments from other students regarding Activity 3 were both encouraging and discouraging. They encouraged me because so many other people seemed as lost as I was. They discouraged me because many of them were actually working in libraries and they STILL didn't seem to have a clue what was going on. 

If anything, this has been an excellent opportunity to evaluate myself as a learner. It has been a long time since I have been so frustrated in my attempts to learn something new. I have always considered myself rather "fearless", and I'm constantly throwing myself into uncharted waters. But this cataloguing stuff, my God! If anything, it was a reminder of the frustration my students go through when they do not understand something. It is truly a humbling experience.  I had to apply every technique I knew-I had to go back to the beginning of the course and read everything again, I had to read and re-read other people's posts on the discussion forums. I certainly wasn't looking for a short cut in the first place, but on the other hand I wasn't expecting to repeat whole sections of the course. 

On the bright side, as I previously mentioned, any triumph over adversity creates a feeling of accomplishment.  I am still quite worried about the rest of this course, but I feel with activity 3 I have managed to pass the first hurdle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment